Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01 we will never forget

Today, as everyone knows, is the 10th anniversary of the most devastating day in the 21st century.  It was, and still is, a day of disbelief and sorrow.  Today I watched the unveiling of the WTC memorial and the families of the fallen come together to admire the beautiful memorial and touch their loved one's names etched into the plaques of the memorial.  Ten years have passed and to many, myself included, it feels as if it was only yesterday.  September 11th forever changed the world, and my generation.  My peers and I were only 8 or 9 years old when 9/11 happened, and even though we were young, we still remember our feelings and thoughts that raced through our minds. I still remember being in the 3rd grade, getting ready for school when my mom called my grandma saying that she wasn't going to be home that day.  She told Grandma to turn the tv on and Grandma told me to go wake up my uncle and tell him to turn his tv on as well.  I, being my 8 year old self and having no idea how evil the world can be, thought that the billowing smoke was actually a tornado in Virginia and that's why my mom wasn't going to be home.  Crazy I know, but I remember that my grandma and I gathered in my uncle's room, watching the tv.  That is when I was able to read the headline of the news, still confused since I had NO idea what terrorist were and what they did.  I remember standing in the door way with my grandma, I believe she was crying, however I don't remember that too well.  But I do remember that I started to cry a little, not because I understood what was going on, but because I was scared.  I was scared because whatever was going on I knew wasn't good at all and many people were hurting.  Once I was dropped off at school I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance and having a brief moment of silence and a small prayer.  They were very vague about the events in the prayer only asking for comfort for the hurt.  My class started to ask each other and the teacher, Mrs. Arnett, what was going on.  She was instructed not to tell us what had happened and when we asked her.  If you ask anyone where they were that day, all who were old enough to remember can tell you their location and the conversations they had that day.  My generation lost our innocence, in a way, we no longer saw the world as a happy places and sugar coated; instead we knew the evil and the horrors of mankind and what they are capable of doing.  Personally, I think that people have lost the idea of how important this day is.  I have noticed that over the past couple year, the moments of silence aren't as often, and people over look the day as if it was just another day of life.  And I know that their becomes a time where the grieving is over and people do move on from tragedies.  But I think this day should NEVER be looked over, it is a day of history that changed this country forever, and it should get the respect it deserves.  Not only for America, but for the families, the fallen heroes of the NYPD, and NYFP, and the Port Authority.  And shall we never forget our troops, those who have passed fighting the war against terrorism and our freedom, and those who are still serving today.  9/11 is a day of sorrow no matter what.  We lost many of our neighbors, we may not of known any of the fallen, but they are still our neighbors.  Firefighters and Police officers risk their lives everyday to help others and that is why they are heroes.  And those who ran into those towers, not thinking about their own safety, are our super heroes. So we honor them on this day.  Even if this sounds silly I will dedicate this blog post to the victims of the flights, the towers and the Pentagon. Also to the fallen heroes of regular civilians, firefighters, and police who did their jobs above and beyond.  To the families of the fallen, thoughts and prayers are with you always. Finally, our troops who continue to fight for us, and those who have.  You all have my utmost respect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment