Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Real World Wednesdays..doesn't have a great ring to it

So last night I didn't blog.  Not because I was lazy or didn't feel like it, but I spent 5 hours, I repeat FIVE HOURS, studying Chinese.  No, not just studying Chinese, writing 13 characters 32 times! That's 416 characters in total! Then I quizzed myself on them for like 2 hours.  It was hard work let me tell you.  I took breaks though. One for 90210, showering, and Teen Mom.  They were all well deserved.  So today as you would assume, I had a Chinese test, and in all honesty I am feeling really confident in it! My professor said she will get them back to us by tomorrow! Fingers crossed!  After Chinese we went on a class field trip to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem to visit the Yin Yu Tang house; which is a real house from China that was shipped over in 2003.  This house is totally authentic, even the furniture is original.  It is 200 years old and has lived through the Ming and Qing dynasties.  We learned many different things, like babies didn't and still don't wear diapers.  There's a slit in their pants and they just go wherever and someone will clean it up.  Apparently Chinese moms can tell when their babies need to go to the bathroom, like newborns.  We were all a little grossed out.  We also learned about the feet binding which they start when the girls are babies.  In most cases the toes become SO broken they curl up under.  The process hurts, as you can imagine, and the mothers lay on their daughters feet so they can sleep.  So sad!  Which leads me to another point, the entire family sleeps in one room.  So the mother, father, and siblings all sleep in the same bed.  It's insane! These rooms are like master bedrooms either, let's put it this way, my dorm room is bigger than their room by half.  You can fit two of these rooms in my dorm room.  That's definitely saying something! The house was soo beautiful, there's no ceiling because the Chinese believe that rain is good and will make the crops plentiful, and of course they will be given an abundance of sons.  When it comes to decorating the house they have to have everything symmetrical.  Everything needs to be even, they believe that it will create peace within their homes.  Every decoration they have, and the way it is set up all has a reason.  They hope if they place things in certain ways they will be given many fortunes through out their lives.  The Chinese culture is really interesting.  When a woman marries a man she is basically abandoning her village and her family name.  A wedding really isn't seen as anything too special as it is here.  Once the couple is married they go and live with the husband's parents, where it is expected of them to care for the in-laws.  I hope you enjoyed your lesson on Chinese culture! It's time for me to watch The Real World!

No comments:

Post a Comment