Wednesday, September 7, 2011

First Day of Classes...In the Right Classes!

Today I had my Elementary Chinese class...yes, you read that right I'm going to be learning Mandarin Chinese! =) I also had Expos. Writing, which is linked to the Chinese class.  In Chinese I will be able to write, or is it draw, 200 Chinese characters; I AM EXCITED!!! Unlike French, which is a language I can speak pretty well, Chinese has like thousands upon thousands of characters and not a strict ABC's.  Their pronunciation is EVERYTHING to them also.  There can be one character for like 12 words, yet the meaning changes with the pronunciation of the symbol.  Weird, I know, so this will be a very challenging class.  Professor Stadler-Chester showed a sentence and everything thing sounded like ma ma ma ma ma ma ma...mama, when she translated it, by using the different inflections, the sentence was "Did the instructor scold the horse, or did the horse scold the instructor?" See, weird...anyways it's a really small class only 13 people, 12 girls and 1 boy! Poor Craig, that's his name.  The same people in my Chinese class are actually the same people in my Expos. class, so that's really nice.  Dr. Matthews just finished her PhD while living in Northern Ireland, where her husband is from.  And it's really funny because she has a bit of an Irish accent so it's really funny.  Mostly because she said she's from Milwaukee so she's like all-American! Haha! I already have an essay due Monday...I am not in high school anymore, that's for sure.  After classes I came back to my room and did my homework the book we have to read for Expos is really interesting so far.  Dr. Matthews is encouraging us to be active readers which I LOVE to do, and since I bought my novels for her class I am soo excited to highlight and right in margins!  I did a lot of it in tonight's homework! So much fun!  After getting homework done Meredith and I went to have dinner and get ready for bingo!  Once we got in line, Meredith said she was just going to chill in our room, which was cool with me I just wanted to play bingo.  When I got closer to the door there was 10 people ahead of me, and they only had 6 more seats, so I missed my first FSU bingo.  Which at FSU is a big deal! You need to get in line like an hour early, which I will definitely do next time! So I just came back to my room did a little more homework and Facebooked, and now this!  I think I might watch a movie now!

No comments:

Post a Comment